Dear Soul, you left your body
with no thought for your pain;
your last word was for the last man,
and food for our fallen brain.
Edhi’s six secrets that won him people’s love and trust
- He loved the poor which means he lived like them and among them.
- Was humble to the core and very approachable.
- His integrity was never in doubt yet he ensured it was visible.
- You could call his enterprise love-&-charity-without-borders. Everyone was reached whatever be their faith, class, age, gender or ethnicity.
- He was the “ruler” of his sprawling “empire” yet he acted like the humblest worker performing with his own hands what he expected his workers to do — be it to wash the unclaimed corpses or drive an ambulance to reach a scene of crisis.And most importantly
- That is why in his last illness which struck him in 2o13 he turned to the Sindh Institute of Urology & Transplantation — a hospital where the poor are loved and not allowed to die because they cannot afford to pay for their treatment to stay alive.